SMTP Server

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

4dtv

SMTP Server

Post by 4dtv »

Do we have access to an SMTP mail server? The Members page gives an address for the SMTP server, but when I try sending mail using that address, my mail client gives the following error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'gojabber', Server: 'mail2.pcdc.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
Last edited by 4dtv on Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
revlis

Post by revlis »

I have not tried it myself as of yet, but I do believe you need to use SMTP AUTH and login with your email address to authenticate.

You should also be using mail.<yourdomain.com> not mail2.pcdc.net.

Give that a shot.
4dtv

Post by 4dtv »

The error seems to indicate the SMTP port is not listening, rather than giving an authentication error. I tried using auth and got the same error. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

4dtv wrote:The error seems to indicate the SMTP port is not listening, rather than giving an authentication error. I tried using auth and got the same error. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
You can confirm whether there are SMTP problems on the members page (under port status, eg. if the port is showing as red, smtp is not listening). SMTP is up though, my guess would be that your ISP is filtering external SMTP access.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com