Overselling in WHM

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

vito

Overselling in WHM

Post by vito »

I know "overselling" doesn't sound good, but let me clarify.

Let's say I have 60 GB bandwidth in my reseller account. Let's also say I set up 20 customers in WHT, each assigned 3 GB bandwidth. Technically, the account is full. However, the reality is that very few customers will use up (or even get close to) their allotted bandwidth. If I can see, over time, that the total aggregate bandwidth used by these 20 customers is 25 GB, that means 35 GB are going to waste every month. I believe that as long as I carefully monitor my account usage, that I can responsibly and ethically add a few more customers to that account without any risk of compromising my customers or the performance of the server. The key is not to push it to the limits.

My question is will WHT allow me to do that? In my last reseller account, I used Plesk as the cp. It literally would add up the allotted bandwidth assigned to each customer and use that in the calculation of how many customers are allowed in the one reseller account. In other words, it would not allow any reasonable overages, regardless of the actual bandwidth consumption.

So can I do this in WHT?

Vito
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

CPanel/WHM will only tally the amount of bandwidth used, same with space, etc. not the total amount that you've dolled out to your customers. Potentially limitless reselling is possible, but as you say, it is your responsibility to choose how you allocate your resources, etc.

WHM should not hinder overselling in any case.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com