A couple DNS questions

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

porcupine
Site Admin

Re: A couple DNS questions

Post by porcupine »

Hiya Mark,

1. In WHM, generally you cant edit much to do with your own domain. Cpanel disables this to prevent abuse as if it were enabled, some people would likely find a way for privaledge escelation, and bump up their access levels, etc. I do not believe theres any way to do this stuff in CPanel, you need to do Domain related work in WHM, if you cant find a way, open a helpdesk ticket with your customer number and resource number and we'll get it done for you.

2. CNAME shuold work under all mail servers, all of the big boys use it (microsoft, yahoo, etc.), and i'd assume CPanel takes the objective view that states "if someone else cant run software that follows RFC, thats their own problem" which i would have to agree on, RFC's define the standards for a reason :).

3. In your registerar control panel, you should be able to create 2 nameservers and assign them to the IP's provided in your welcome email.
This involves no work on our system, just on the registerar's control panel, and you cannot just point them on our side as subdomains, as other registerar's will not see them as official nameservers and will not allow people to specify them properly when you add accounts.

We dont have much of a manual for CPanel, the forum is slowly become an archive worth searching, but no, i wouldn't call that RTFM, we add stuff to the faq occasionally, but theres always 10 questions not answered in there for every 1 that ever gets added.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com