Spam Assassin

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

graham

Spam Assassin

Post by graham »

Beginning yesterday a great deal of spam has been making it past spam assassin.

No change on my side with respect to settings there - did anything change with cpanel or spam assassin, or can in it be refreshed?
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: Spam Assassin

Post by porcupine »

Hi Graham,

I think you're on the www6 server. CPanel is supposed to update spamassassin's rulesets on a nightly basis. Doing a manual test, I see it is indeed up to date:

Code: Select all

[...]
[11143] dbg: channel: attempting channel updates.spamassassin.org
[11143] dbg: channel: update directory /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002004/updates_spamassassin_org
[11143] dbg: channel: channel cf file /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002004/updates_spamassassin_org.cf
[11143] dbg: channel: channel pre file /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002004/updates_spamassassin_org.pre
[11143] dbg: channel: metadata version = 895075
[11143] dbg: dns: 4.2.3.updates.spamassassin.org => 895075, parsed as 895075
[11143] dbg: channel: current version is 895075, new version is 895075, skipping channel
[11143] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 1
Chances are the spammers are just getting more clever, this periodically happens, it's a game of cat and mouse really.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
graham

Post by graham »

You are indeed correct.

Perhaps the update failed on Tuesday night (well - first thing Wednesday). Spam started flowing through (with none hitting the spam collection folder) starting in the first minutes after midnight Tuesday night, and then started collecting capably again after midnight 24 hours later (last night).

Didn't feel like a rule change - as no email was being trapped. No timestamp on the channel update pasted, but I'd guess the nightly update is in or around the start of the new day (00:01:00 o'clock) and the services restarted.

All is well again, and the deluge is once again contained.

Thanks for checking in.

Graham.
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Very odd, but as long as it works :)
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com