I feel SO stupid - the ftp account blues

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

Alexander
not so much a newbie

I feel SO stupid - the ftp account blues

Post by Alexander »

I've just setup a test account/user on my very new reseller pack, and euhmz.. whatever I try I can not seem to be able to logon to ftp with the username/password. I "Synchronize FTP Passwords"d this many times, retyped the password zillion times.. wow ..

It does not work on mydomain.com as server;
It does not work with any of the two IP addresses I have, although I am very positive where it should be (which ip). I can also display the webroot in www.mydomain.com/~username/ , CP works, everything actually, except ftp.

Help! ;)
Alexander
Alexander
not so much a newbie

Post by Alexander »

Since I was playing I checked the DNS thingy in WHM .. well .. I have no clue why, but I found the correct IP for ftp ... although its a bit weird:

My namerver Ip's end in
*.*.162.126
*.*.163.176
The ip that connects with the domain ftp-wise is
*.*.162.176

Call it coincidence, I am smelling gremlins.. . There is absolutely no way I could know this (I think) ... Is that my very personal private hosting IP? Or is that one used for ftp services or something?

Reason I needed the IP is I was planning on giving the guy from the domain the possibility to ftp his stuff over so he could move easily (thus prior of moving his domain, hence ftp.domain.com wouldn't work)...
Alexander
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

All reseller accounts have at least 2 private ip's for their nameservers. On top of these we stack their main site, and shared ip address. You should use ftp.yourdomain.com for ftp access :). And yep, thats your very own private shared ip, too many benefits to this setup to even list, mainly, abuse from other resellers cannot easily affect you as they're on other ip's, if another resellers sites get attacked, abused, etc. we can filter out *just* them without disrupting your business, etc.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
Alexander
not so much a newbie

Post by Alexander »

GREAT,

Well reason I was realy searching was I could not login with ftp.userdomain.com since that wasn't moved yet (at his registrar), and ftp.mydomain.com did not work for the user (gremlins I guess), anyways in the future I know the ftp-IP (which I assume wont be different for every user ;)) ..

Thanks Myles!
Alexander
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

You're quite welcome.

Ahhh now my day alone with my Valentine begins! if anyone notices the helpdesk is slllooww today, don't be surprised, a few of our staff got "clubbed and dragged off" by our wifes/girlfriends/fiancee's today :oops:, emergency pager still on of course.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com