E-mail anti-abuse headers

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

Alexander
not so much a newbie

E-mail anti-abuse headers

Post by Alexander »

I know I cant hide the fact I dont own a server and thet the prioritycolo name will pop up here and there, but is there no other way to make antiabuse headers than these?

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - www6.prioritycolo.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - chello.nl
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [32001 32001] / [32001 32001]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - www6.prioritycolo.com

My Eudora shows these on top of a message comming from my domain, and I am afraid Outlook will too. ...
Alexander
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Not really,

This will only show in the source, not in the actual message, so you will see this in outlook/outlook express, but only if you go into the message source, not when someone just views a regular email.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
Alexander
not so much a newbie

Post by Alexander »

Those headers were from e-mail sent through webmail (directly from the server) .. Using pop my domain will be added aswell but this one stays in there that i'd rather not see in there sent to my clients ...
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - www6.prioritycolo.com

Is it possible to change that into my primairy domain name (the one I cannot remove, therefor enabling spamtracking aswell) ...?

I understand Outlook might hide it, but Eudora doesn't, and maybe other e-mail clients show the X-AntiAbuse headers in the email message bodies aswell ... ? Just curious if we can change this ...
Alexander
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Not that i've found, and we dont really *want* to change it that much. As im sure you realise, a lot of resellers buy $15/mo accounts and peddle off $2-5/mo accounts, many of which have some amount of abuse. We prefer to know about SPAM, etc. if it's being sent out (regardless of quantity), and be able to properly deal with it. If that pointed to reseller domains, then we would not get notified by most complainants.

If you do find a way to change that, let me know and i'll consider it.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
MITeacher

Post by MITeacher »

Myles,

I know you already shot the idea down, but I think it would be an amazing idea to use generic names for future servers, generic domains that is. Possibly PCNOC or such. I completely understand where you are coming from, but think it would be a great option to consider for future server setups.

-Matt
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

I haven't totally shot that idea down, but if we do that, im not buying a seperate domain for each server (which is what one of the original posters of the idea had wanted), i'd use the same domain for all reseller servers (which would make it a lot less generic). This is still under consideration.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
Alexander
not so much a newbie

Post by Alexander »

What if there would be one domain (new-domain.com) that is used for tracking spam? All servers can use that same domain using subdomains (like what happens now with www6/www5 etc), and the domain would point to a page that shows it is used for spamhunting on the server. The domain would be owned by Myles therefor ensureing he gets the complaints (as addon domain on prioritycolo?). Sort of 'anonymizing' the e-mail AntiAbuse headers, but not making the info false and therefor enabling spamtracking.

As far as costs are concerned, a domain costs 8.88 us$ or more a year depending on registrar, and if the costs of the domain would be the problem I am willing to pay for it. My question is more if it's possible.

My problem is not so much the fact there is a different domain there then my own, but the address that is shown directly links to the homepage of prioritycolo. Any other domain that would point to other information (even server uptime) would be great.

Please let me know.
Alexander
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

I'll look into it.

The domain would be the general domain of the server, not just the email abuse headers. It's a good chunk of consideration and work changing that on all the servers, hence why we have not "dived" into anything specific yet.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
Alexander
not so much a newbie

Post by Alexander »

It would be great, probably nothing new, but I just noticed it's also in the XSkin:
Top right: "Your Server: www6.prioritycolo.com"
Alexander