Switching from another server/reseller.

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

MrCrap

Switching from another server/reseller.

Post by MrCrap »

Thanks for the response time and setup. You guys are great! I have maybe 20 clients or so. What steps should I take to transfer them to my new account here. Do I need to have my clients upload all of their sites here first then Go ahead and transfer the domains? Can I upload all of their sites? Many of them have subdomain accounts will this affect them?
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Hi there MrCrap,

To move them, i would keep accounts on both servers active during the move (the move should ideally take 2-3 days), and then inform your clients they are being moved, and minimal downtime will be experienced, if any. You can use the backup feature on the first host, and transfer the backups over to your new reseller account, and then use the restore function, or you can look in WHM and one of the options is for moving of accounts (i can't remember the exact title, forgive me). Either in theory should work. After you've done this, change the DNS records to point to the new server, and then verify the content and leave the old accounts on the old server active for up to 1 week (preferably 2-3 days after content is verified to have moved) to allow for DNS to propogate and show the new servers.

If they're all pointing to ns1.crappyhosting.com and ns2.crappyhosting.com, then you should only have to move the 2 ns's, and setup the accounts on our server, and because the domains point to those two nameservers, once the nameservers are moved, and accounts setup on the new nameserver ip's, the domains will follow automatically as a result.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Under CPanel/WHM unfortunatly the transfer accounts function is limited to someone with root on the old server. As far as i know, there is no reseller backup to backup all clients in CPanel/WHM unfortunatly.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
MrCrap

Post by MrCrap »

I have put in a help desk call and asked them if they could do the backups or let me (you) have access. Hopefully they won't be adverse to the fact.
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Good luck with it :), let us know when you've got the data and what data you've got and i'll give ya a hand getting it all setup :)
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
MrCrap

Post by MrCrap »

:D It appears that everything went ok with the switch. My servers have even propagated already. Thanks to Myles for all the help. Everyone including myself is happy. So far so good!
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

MrCrap wrote::D It appears that everything went ok with the switch. My servers have even propagated already. Thanks to Myles for all the help. Everyone including myself is happy. So far so good!
Let me know if you need any more help, i think we've got you all covered, but you never know :D

Thanks for using the Forum for assistance, i think you're the first one (when people think forum, they dont think fast or even any reply will come i guess, so nobody seems to want to use it unfortunatly, maybe they'll see post times between the posts and notice the replies are still pretty quick [we dont get notified of posts, so not as fast granted])
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
Rayg

I need to transfer and understand more about it

Post by Rayg »

:?:

I am currently trying to arrange with my old host for either the WHM copy-account feature to be used or for backups to be made of my sites.

1. Will each of these do the job of transferring my mail, mail settings, stats and xmb message boards?

2. Is the WHM copy-account feature something that links up the 2 servers in question directly, and tranfers the data directly from one server to the other with no temporary storage in between?

3. Does a CPanel backup create a file (.TAR or something) that is downloaded to your PC, from where it can be the uploaded input for a restore on another server?

4. What would you say is the best procedure for doing this (including which way is better, if it's better that you do it rather than I, etc.)

Thanks a lot for your help. I think I will feel the need to work with you on this.

Ray
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: I need to transfer and understand more about it

Post by porcupine »

Rayg wrote::?:

I am currently trying to arrange with my old host for either the WHM copy-account feature to be used or for backups to be made of my sites.

1. Will each of these do the job of transferring my mail, mail settings, stats and xmb message boards?

2. Is the WHM copy-account feature something that links up the 2 servers in question directly, and tranfers the data directly from one server to the other with no temporary storage in between?

3. Does a CPanel backup create a file (.TAR or something) that is downloaded to your PC, from where it can be the uploaded input for a restore on another server?

4. What would you say is the best procedure for doing this (including which way is better, if it's better that you do it rather than I, etc.)

Thanks a lot for your help. I think I will feel the need to work with you on this.

Ray
Hi there Ray,

The WHM copy account feature makes a .tar of all the necessary files of the accounts, transfers the files from the old server to the new, then uncompresses and installs them on the new server. This used to be available on the Reseller level, but was removed (uncertain as to why), it may be back on the reseller panel but I've not checked recently so could not say for sure.

Cpanel can create .tar.gz backup files from the end users CPanel. It's in the download section, and can be used to create new accounts then restore the content to them manually, this is of course a tedious, but effective method. CPanel also creates at the root level backups of account content (if configured properly) which can be downloaded, and uploaded to a new server, and created from there; unfortunatly that feature is root level only (aka the other host would have to provide it for you, and we would have to install them for you).

The best way, there really isn't one, it depends on your comfort level and situation. Fastest way is to have root on both servers and use the mass copy function as appropriate, but thats very very rarely an option for someone at the reseller level.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com