What is the difference

Technical support for owners of colocated servers, and dedicated servers, and support/questions specific to this type of hosting.

Moderator: Admins

geekgal

What is the difference

Post by geekgal »

HI,
I am trying to learn as much as I can before I rent a server.
Can you help me?
1. do you have windows servers?
2. what is the difference between colocation and dedicated servers as shown on your website.
3. if there are 4 or 6 ips, does that mean I can only have that many domain names? I have about 100 I need to get up and running.

Thanks in advance
Geek Gal
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Hi there Geekgal,

1. No, we don't currently stock windows servers. The simple reason for this is that there isn't a lot of demand (relative to other services) and we receive no discounts on Windows products (thus theres no incentive). If a customer is heart-set on a windows server, they can definatly colocate one, or provide us with the license/media, and we'll install the OS of their choice (provided with the license/media) on one of our dedicated servers.

Notably if you wish to use windows for its simplicity, and ease of use, I'd recommend checking the CPanel/WHM webhosting control panel software. We provide this at our cost, and it is reasonably easy to use, effective, and a quick learn :).

2. Colocation is the process where a customer provides their own equipment (aka the server) and we simply provide the other essentials, such as IP addresses, Banwdith, Power, and connectivity, as well as technical service needs. Dedicated servers, we provide, and manage the hardware, and provide all of the other essentials, just like any other dedicated server host.

3. The numeber of IP's included with any package reflects the number of IP addresses provided free of charge. Additional IP's are only $3.00/IP one time fee. You can host as many domains as you want on a single shared IP (which is the standard practise), sites requiring their own SSL certificates will need their own IP's, all others will typically go onto one (or more) shared IP's. There is no limit to the number of sites you can host per IP address, just a limit of 1 SSL certificate per IP address.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com