www2/www3 scheduled maintenance - Thursday March 9th, 2006

Announcements concerning Networking & Related News, Planned Outages, Anything which may affect your services.

Moderator: Admins

porcupine
Site Admin

www2/www3 scheduled maintenance - Thursday March 9th, 2006

Post by porcupine »

Hi guys,

We'll be performing some brief maintenance on the new www2 and www3 servers on Thursday March 9th, between 4:00pm and 12:00am. During this window, customers can expect each server to be down roughly 10 minutes as an additional backup drive is added to the system.

We had initially thought that backups could be safely retained on the same filesystem as the rest of the user content (considering they're exported off server nightly, and duplicated weekly, and monthly for redundancy to a raid-5 backup solution), unfortunately doing so has caused multiple quota related issues with the servers, and thus the problem must be corrected by adding an additional drive to each system for backups, for the short duration where they exist on the server, before being exported to the local raid-5 backup server.

Since this is a very simply hardware addition, we do not expect there to be any complications, etc.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hi Myles,

I believe I'm on www5, but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting mail for my main hosting account (oddly I have no problem with mail on subaccounts).

It says, "Fetching new mail. Fetching 199 of 249." However it is stuck, and has been since this morning. I was wondering if this server issue could be a cause? Or perhaps it's some odd email problem on my end (I do seem to be getting the messages OK online).

Is connecting to mail.mysite.com still the right way to do this for incoming mail?

I can certainly open up a help desk ticket if this is harder to do on the forum.

Part of the problem may be that someone is spoofing my address and I'm getting hundreds of bouncebacks (why do they do that!?! Why not make up a fake domain?). Thanks!
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Misha wrote:Hi Myles,

I believe I'm on www5, but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting mail for my main hosting account (oddly I have no problem with mail on subaccounts).

It says, "Fetching new mail. Fetching 199 of 249." However it is stuck, and has been since this morning. I was wondering if this server issue could be a cause? Or perhaps it's some odd email problem on my end (I do seem to be getting the messages OK online).

Is connecting to mail.mysite.com still the right way to do this for incoming mail?

I can certainly open up a help desk ticket if this is harder to do on the forum.

Part of the problem may be that someone is spoofing my address and I'm getting hundreds of bouncebacks (why do they do that!?! Why not make up a fake domain?). Thanks!
Hi Misha,

Theres any number of reasons it might get stuck when dealing with very large quantities of email in your mailbox. It could be a large file in the email, a hung process (in which case, disconnect, exit your mail client, and try again in 10 minutes), etc. Notably, you can edit your inbox file by hand (eg. dumping it, or moving it to a backup file to be downloaded later), as its a plain-text file located in /home/username/mail/inbox [for your main account, eg. username@www5.pcdc.net), or /home/username/mail/domainname/emailuser/inbox)

I'd suggest cutting off your current attempt, disconnecting from the net if you're on dialup, closing all email clients, and waiting 10 minutes before retrying first, before moving, or wiping the inbox file.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
Misha

Post by Misha »

Thanks for that. I went into the online mailbox and deleted the 800 or so spams that had accumulated in the past week. One of those messages must have been the culprit, as I was able to fetch all the mails.

Everything looks OK now.

Thanks,
Misha
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Misha wrote:Thanks for that. I went into the online mailbox and deleted the 800 or so spams that had accumulated in the past week. One of those messages must have been the culprit, as I was able to fetch all the mails.

Everything looks OK now.

Thanks,
Misha
Good stuff :)
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Just an update: Due to a DDoS attack earlier today against a colo customer, I was unable to perform the maintenance on the www2/www3 servers. As such, I'll be pushing the maintenance window back into the early morning hours, as I've missed the initial window. Expected downtime, etc. remain unchanged, It'll just get performed during more off peak hours.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com