AWStats, Webalizer not working when acct is created

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

Rayg

AWStats, Webalizer not working when acct is created

Post by Rayg »

After I created a new client account, Awstats and Webalizer only returned errors or no-stat-generation messages when run. I was told that WHM has a problem that "broke Perl", and that I should wait for a CPanel patch. All other existing accounts I checked have working stats. This is a very significant problem for me.

Is it the case that currently, resellers cannot create client accounts with working Awstats and Webalizer?

:?:
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: AWStats, Webalizer not working when acct is created

Post by porcupine »

Rayg wrote:After I created a new client account, Awstats and Webalizer only returned errors or no-stat-generation messages when run. I was told that WHM has a problem that "broke Perl", and that I should wait for a CPanel patch. All other existing accounts I checked have working stats. This is a very significant problem for me.

Is it the case that currently, resellers cannot create client accounts with working Awstats and Webalizer?

:?:
Hello Ray,

Unfortunately thats a side effect of one of the more recent CPanel/WHM updates. More specifically, stats are not updating on more then just new accounts across some of the servers. The bad (but also good) thing about CPanel updates is, when an update is released, it works its way down the "tree", which means people running the most recent updates (eg. "bleeding edge") are more likely to catch problems within those updates, before they hit others using older trees (eg. "current" and "stable" in our case). My impression is that a fix has been released, but is not yet integrated into the "current" release.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
Rayg

Ahhh

Post by Rayg »

Hi Myles,

Thanks for the info. It is clearer that all we must do is wait for the fix to arrive. For info's sake, I have seen current data on "Last 20 Visitors", suggesting that the data is being accumulated (in at least my case), but (as you said) something in the connection to or function of Awstats and Webalizer is not right.

My only questions now are:
1) Is there anything we resellers need to do when the fix comes in, or is it something that will rectify the situation with no action on our part?

2) If stat data IS being accumulated and exists when the fix comes in, will the software report on existing data going back into the past, or will that data be lost or unreportable?

3) What's a very rough ballpark estimate of time until fix: around 1 year, 4 months, 6 weeks?

Thanks a lot for info.
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: Ahhh

Post by porcupine »

H Ray,

1. You wont need to do anything when the fix filters down, chances are we wont either (one nice thing about updates, often when the updates break something, they also fix it, on their own).

2. Data is being accumulated, and customers can manually click the update awstats button (assuming they didn't just create the account, and awstats is working, but the stat data is out of sync). This will do a one time update. Aside from that unfortunately, the domains http logs are cleared on a nightly basis, so stats are getting gathered, and automatically cleared. This is to prevent logfiles from getting too big (apache will effectively crash if any logfile is over 2.1GB, which happens quicker then you'd think on a few domains). For now, given this, stat data is being lost across many accounts, as its collected, then erased before its been applied.

3. Thats a hard one, but I'd strongly expect it to be fixed within the first half of this month, if not sooner. CPanels had a few major glitches in the past few weeks (their formmail script had major exploits, problems with one of their built in shopping carts, and stats breaking across a large number of CPanel based servers), so I'd expect they have a good bit on their plate right now, but I still expect a reasonably timed resolution to this problem.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
lipak

Post by lipak »

This problem still exists (tested it today). Has there been any word on when a resolution will be available?
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

lipak wrote:This problem still exists (tested it today). Has there been any word on when a resolution will be available?
Please open a helpdesk ticket, or email admin@prioritycolo.com with details regarding the account (and the reseller account it resides under, if applicable). This definately will need in-depth troubleshooting that cannot be performed VIA the forums.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com