additional ftp accounts below /public_html/ ?

Technical support for general webhosting clients and questions relating to their webhosting services.

Moderator: Admins

ZeroFill

additional ftp accounts below /public_html/ ?

Post by ZeroFill »

hi all. i was wondering if it was possible to add a additional ftp users with access below /public_html/ in cPanel. i want to keep out my more sensitive includes (such as config files w/ mysql user/pass) outside public domain as well as *.tpl files

i already use the main account to access everything, but want to lock the designers in ~/templates/ (or where ever we decide to put all the *.tpl files)
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

I'm not sure if this can be done in CPanel. I actually don't think it can without additional work (what about adding subdomains instead of additional FTP users?).

If not, .htaccess is your friend :).
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
ZeroFill

Post by ZeroFill »

adding sub-domains won't help because we want the *.tpl files outside of public domain (below ~/public_html/).

pseudo dir structure

Code: Select all

~/public_html
~/projects/project_name/templates/themes/theme_name/*.tpl
~/projects/project_name/templates/compiled/
~/projects/project_name/cache/
~/projects/project_name/config/
~/projects/project_name/locale/
i want to lock the designers into

~/projects/project_name/
so they don't even think about touching the business logic.

btw, we're using Smarty Template Engine if you're wondering. we just switched to it and it makes life a lot more livable by keeping design and business logic seperate :D

would it be possible to make this request as a licensee to cPanel because, imo, not allowing us to set sub-ftp's home dirs anywhere in OUR folder is just ridiculous. i would ask but apparently they want ticket submissions. same goes with not allowing users to have full control over THEIR databases such as locks and grants (mySQL)
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

ZeroFill wrote:adding sub-domains won't help because we want the *.tpl files outside of public domain (below ~/public_html/).

pseudo dir structure

~/public_html
~/projects/project_name/templates/themes/theme_name/*.tpl
~/projects/project_name/templates/compiled/
~/projects/project_name/cache/
~/projects/project_name/config/
~/projects/project_name/locale/
i want to lock the designers into

~/projects/project_name/
so they don't even think about touching the business logic.

btw, we're using Smarty Template Engine if you're wondering. we just switched to it and it makes life a lot more livable by keeping design and business logic seperate :D

would it be possible to make this request as a licensee to cPanel because, imo, not allowing us to set sub-ftp's home dirs anywhere in OUR folder is just ridiculous. i would ask but apparently they want ticket submissions. same goes with not allowing users to have full control over THEIR databases such as locks and grants (mySQL)
Better submit a ticket then, because I'm fairly certain you can't do it the way you're thinking of there. Its under their support section, and pretty easy to use (though not intended for end users, you can fake it I guess. Remember when it asks for IP to put in the main server IP).
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
MITeacher

Post by MITeacher »

Im pretty sure this feature is available on cPanel. When you create an FTP account, I believe it tells you more about the feature. I know it lets you specify "userx" can only access "foldery" and so on. Im not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for though.
ZeroFill

Post by ZeroFill »

MITeacher wrote:Im pretty sure this feature is available on cPanel. When you create an FTP account, I believe it tells you more about the feature. I know it lets you specify "userx" can only access "foldery" and so on. Im not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for though.
the only option found is setting a new ftp user's home directory anywhere within /public_html/.

i want to set a new ftp user's home directory to /projects/proj_name/ (which has no relation to /public_html/). if this is possible, please let me know how to do this. take a second look at my pseudo dir structure example above to get a better picture of what i mean.

this is pretty much how the new ftp user account setup looks like

Login: |¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
Password: |¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
Directory: /home/zero/public_html |¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|

notice how directory is fixed at /home/zero/public_html than /home/zero, how it "should" be.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Have you tried setting the path to /home/zero/public_html/../projects/.

Shouldn't work, but it might as a bug/undocumented feature. Just be sure you change the ownership/permissions of the files to the right user.

-Matthew
ZeroFill

Post by ZeroFill »

yeah, i already tried tricks like that, no dice :cry:

it seems like they strip out double dots (..) even when trying to escape (\.) them.