Spam Assassin

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

DavidLaneSystems

Spam Assassin

Post by DavidLaneSystems »

Hate to complain about good things, but I'm nervous:

Spam folder on bellanca-championclub.com usually fills up with thousands of junk emails each week; lately I have been finding only a few - today's count was two!

Is the Spam Age really over, or am I dreaming?

On the other hand, junk mail that gets through has steadily increased at the same rate - no correlation with the lack of Spam Folder entries.

I guess these are two different questions:

1 - Have local SpamAssassin settings changed at the server level? (I have made no changes)

2 - Is SpamAssassin getting less effective in filtering?

Would appreciate hearing others' experiences on this.

Thank you,
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: Spam Assassin

Post by porcupine »

DavidLaneSystems wrote:Hate to complain about good things, but I'm nervous:

Spam folder on bellanca-championclub.com usually fills up with thousands of junk emails each week; lately I have been finding only a few - today's count was two!

Is the Spam Age really over, or am I dreaming?

On the other hand, junk mail that gets through has steadily increased at the same rate - no correlation with the lack of Spam Folder entries.

I guess these are two different questions:

1 - Have local SpamAssassin settings changed at the server level? (I have made no changes)

2 - Is SpamAssassin getting less effective in filtering?

Would appreciate hearing others' experiences on this.

Thank you,
Hi there David,

1. No settings have been changed on our end, unless a version upgrade in Spam Assassin has changed the manner in which it functions.

2. Thats quite possible. Is the amount of spam you're receiving increasing linerally with what you'd expect to be missing from the spam-assassin folders?
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
DavidLaneSystems

porcupine wrote:
DavidLaneSystems wrote: Is the amount of spam you're receiving increasing linearly with what you'd expect to be missing from the spam-assassin folders?
Hi Myles:

Hard to say, although I tend toward not: up until recently, the volume of Spam was at least holding level, perhaps increasing, while the number of junk emails passed through were considerably higher. Sorry about the subjective response, but I don't actually count or track the numbers.

This morning's Spam folder count was zero, but the Inbox contained over 200 junk messages (about 300 total.)

Regards,
RS
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

DavidLaneSystems wrote:
porcupine wrote:
DavidLaneSystems wrote: Is the amount of spam you're receiving increasing linearly with what you'd expect to be missing from the spam-assassin folders?
Hi Myles:

Hard to say, although I tend toward not: up until recently, the volume of Spam was at least holding level, perhaps increasing, while the number of junk emails passed through were considerably higher. Sorry about the subjective response, but I don't actually count or track the numbers.

This morning's Spam folder count was zero, but the Inbox contained over 200 junk messages (about 300 total.)

Regards,
RS
Do you have any other active email accounts based off this same domain? If so, are they showing similar symptoms, or is it just this single account?
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
DavidLaneSystems

[quote="porcupineDo you have any other active email accounts based off this same domain? If so, are they showing similar symptoms, or is it just this single account?[/quote]

Dear Myles:

Mail account "bcc" is the default. There is another account "cygalley" with its own Spam folder, but it doesn't receive much mail at all.

Regards,

RS
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

One potential quick fix to most SA/CPanel problems, is to simply remove the email account in CPanel, then immediatly recreate it. Typically this takes about 30 seconds, and simply involves you clicking a few buttons and then re-entering the password. Give that a go for me :).
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
DavidLaneSystems

porcupine wrote:One potential quick fix to most SA/CPanel problems, is to simply remove the email account in CPanel, then immediatly recreate it. Typically this takes about 30 seconds, and simply involves you clicking a few buttons and then re-entering the password. Give that a go for me :).
Myles:

Could not delete main mail account, but I did:
1. disable SpamAssassin;
2. set default address to fail;
3. deleted second account;
4. logged off;
5. re-logged on;
6. setup second account again;
7. re-set default address;
8. enabled SpamAssassin.

Seems like that did the trick. Which step or combination thereof, I cannot say, but within a minute or two my Spam box is filling up again.

Don't know if that makes me happy or sad ;-)

Thanks,
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Excellent, great to hear =)
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com