emails bouncing

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

Binarymind

emails bouncing

Post by Binarymind »

<my email address>:
204.11.55.74 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 421 www3.pcdc.net SMTP incoming data timeout - closing connection.
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

Any idea why this would be happening?

Tim Q.
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: emails bouncing

Post by porcupine »

Binarymind wrote:<my email address>:
204.11.55.74 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 421 www3.pcdc.net SMTP incoming data timeout - closing connection.
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

Any idea why this would be happening?

Tim Q.
It sounds like the connection has timed out, likely due to an overly slow remote host, or a lot of data (eg. if the remote host has a max handling time of say 30 seconds on an inbound smtp connection, but your email is 10MB and cant get processed that quickly). Unfortunately since the remote host dictates what they wish to set their timeouts at, the only thing you can do is retry the email, and/or sending a smaller one if large files were attached.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
Binarymind

re: emails bouncing

Post by Binarymind »

Hi Myles,
We did some testing today, and determined that the PriorityColo mail server seems to be doing some kind of check on the from email address to determine if it's valid before sending the email. We have a linux box on our office network (Aserisk VOIP box) that sends email to us when we get a voicemail. It hasn't worked since we switched our mail to your server. One of todays tests was sending a command line email from the linux box and cc'ing a yahoo account. The yahoo account received the email, but I didn't. As the linux box has no actual email accounts on it, any check to verify the from address would fail, resulting in the email not being sent.

Do you know of any such check that the mail server makes? Any other ideas? BTW, the example at the beginning of the thread, is a warning email from the asterisk user group server titled ezmlm warning. It says there were over 60 emails that bounced - all small text messages.
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: re: emails bouncing

Post by porcupine »

Binarymind wrote:Hi Myles,
We did some testing today, and determined that the PriorityColo mail server seems to be doing some kind of check on the from email address to determine if it's valid before sending the email. We have a linux box on our office network (Aserisk VOIP box) that sends email to us when we get a voicemail. It hasn't worked since we switched our mail to your server. One of todays tests was sending a command line email from the linux box and cc'ing a yahoo account. The yahoo account received the email, but I didn't. As the linux box has no actual email accounts on it, any check to verify the from address would fail, resulting in the email not being sent.

Do you know of any such check that the mail server makes? Any other ideas? BTW, the example at the beginning of the thread, is a warning email from the asterisk user group server titled ezmlm warning. It says there were over 60 emails that bounced - all small text messages.
I dont know the intricacies of the checks performed by SMTP when accepting a message, but CPanel/Exim does have several anti-spam options enabled to cut down on SPAM, notably it checks the validity of "from" emails amongst other things (see if the domain exists, if it has a mx record, etc.)
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com