Anonymous Problem

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

This has nothing to do with the domain used on the shared reseller servers. What you are seeing is the reverse DNS entries for your IP address. To have this changed, open a ticket with your resource number (hosting package number), and the ip you want changed, and what you want it to reverse to. Any IP's that we don't have setup to reverse to anything in particular, according to standards (RFC typically) should reverse to *something*, so you can see how that reverse format is devised quite simply, mimicing the in-addr.arpa. configuration. Once a reverse pointer is setup for your domain, for that IP address, it will resolve forwards and backwards to the domain/hostname of your choice.

*ALSO* please *DO NOT* open half a dozen tech tickets/forum threads in inappropriate areas for assistance, it took me 5x longer to run around and close all of the duplicate threads then it did to actually look at this one, see the solution, and answer it. Multiple tickets/emails/threads will make us work *SLOWER* not faster, if you've got an issue, file it once :).
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: How about the Anonymous ?

Post by porcupine »

heri_suhandoko wrote:Please give us an anonymous domain, that different untraceable to replace your clear www2/www3.prioritycolocation.com. Such as WHN Hosting using thehideout.net. If we open using browser, using traceroute program and etc, all IP have no connection to WHN. Please... ok ?
This had nothing to do with the domain on the server. The reason the "9.250.86.66.prioritycolocation.com", etc. fields showed up in traceroutes is because we adhere to RFC standards/policies, and have reverse DNS enabled on our netblocks. As a result of noone ever requesing the reverse DNS to be changed to reflect your domains, the ip's utilized the default names for reverse lookups.

And no, i've already explained several times that we will not be purchasing additional domains for each individual server, and why we will not do this, it is simply not a managable/reasonable solution, and is less then effective to stem the determined client from finding out who their reseller purchases hosting from.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
jstonehouse

Post by jstonehouse »

Just a general query - wouldn't it be better to use an anonymous domain for the reverse DNS?

i.e. 9.250.86.66.ananonymousdomain.com

The reason being that if some of us with dedicated servers have to assign IPs to clients for things such as nameservers, we cannot change the domain on the reverse DNS without first opening a ticket. If we don't want people to see prioritycolo, and you are not online to alter this, then we cannot give the client the details until it has been changed. If you were to use an anonymous domain then problems and requests will be reduced...

Thoughts?

Jo
Jo
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

jstonehouse wrote:Just a general query - wouldn't it be better to use an anonymous domain for the reverse DNS?

i.e. 9.250.86.66.ananonymousdomain.com

The reason being that if some of us with dedicated servers have to assign IPs to clients for things such as nameservers, we cannot change the domain on the reverse DNS without first opening a ticket. If we don't want people to see prioritycolo, and you are not online to alter this, then we cannot give the client the details until it has been changed. If you were to use an anonymous domain then problems and requests will be reduced...

Thoughts?

Jo
Its a little easier, but pointing the reverse entries for all ip's to a domain which we do not exist is also a bad idea. A lot of abuse reports are simplified by the fact people can relatively easily find out where to send the abuse emails and so forth to. Generally when you get ip's, you can just request the reverse pointers be set to the same thing, number (in the in-addr.arpa format) then yourdomain.com and that solves your immediate problem as soon as you get the ip's :).
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
jstonehouse

Post by jstonehouse »

Its a little easier, but pointing the reverse entries for all ip's to a domain which we do not exist is also a bad idea. A lot of abuse reports are simplified by the fact people can relatively easily find out where to send the abuse emails and so forth to. Generally when you get ip's, you can just request the reverse pointers be set to the same thing, number (in the in-addr.arpa format) then yourdomain.com and that solves your immediate problem as soon as you get the ip's
I'm not suggesting to use a domain that doesn't exist, but rather to use an anonymous domain that you buy. I know that you have expressed the intention not to buy an anon domain for every server, and I agree that this would be overkill, but it would certainly make more sense to me to point to an anon domain rather than your own. Otherwise it means we are delayed before we can set accounts up should we wish to give that account a dedicated IP, as we may not want to reveal PriorityColo...

Best,

Jo
Jo
webhost

Re: How about the Anonymous ?

Post by webhost »

That sounds like a great idea Myles. I'll drink to that !Tom :D

heri_suhandoko wrote:Please give us an anonymous domain, that different untraceable to replace your clear www2/www3.prioritycolocation.com. Such as WHN Hosting using thehideout.net. If we open using browser, using traceroute program and etc, all IP have no connection to WHN. Please... ok ?