General Network Customer Protection, your thoughts?

pretty much anything you want

Moderator: Admins

Should we begin to filter IP's known of credit card fraud from our entire network, preventing them from ordering services from our customers? (SSL Port only)

Good Idea, Hate those chargebacks.
17%
Good Idea, as long as legitimate customers aren't affected
No votes
Good Idea, as long as only single static ip's are blocked, not entire ISP's, or Regions.
83%
Terrible Idea, This invades my freedom of service.
No votes
Undecided
No votes
Other - (post your thoughts)
No votes

Total votes: 6

porcupine
Site Admin

General Network Customer Protection, your thoughts?

Post by porcupine »

Hey guys,

Well this idea kind of dawned upon me the other day. As i'm sure some people have realised (if you have, shame on you!) that we block common irc server ip's, ports, etc. as we do not allow it in our TOS, this adds an added layer of protection for many customers (lets face it, a fair chunk of CPanel server admins aren't the most seasoned bunch, so this prevents a user from setting up bots on their servers and being able to connect to IRC causing unwanted issues).

I've been pondering making a blocklist, and adding it to the firewalls to block off common abusive ip's and known "carding" ip's (static only of course) to a blocklist for port 443 (SSL) so that people or organizations known to be committing fraud, specifically credit card fraud cannot connect to SSL connections on our network, namely SSL orderforms.

Are are your thoughts on this?
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
Alexander
not so much a newbie

Post by Alexander »

I voted "Good Idea, as long as only single static ip's are blocked, not entire ISP's, or Regions", and want to add that those IP's should be comming from a trustworthy source before you block them on firewall level. I do not think blocking irc ip's is bad, it will for sure lower the possible chance of being DDosed because some other IRC network thinks they should ...
Alexander
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Yeah, the IRC ip's and ports are blocked, and will remain essentially forever blocked unless our Terms Of Service is to change.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com