30-Jan-2005 - Direct ARIN IP Allocation

News concerning Priority Colo, this includes network status updates, upgrades to services, new services, and general stuff you might be interested in knowing.

Moderator: Admins

porcupine
Site Admin

30-Jan-2005 - Direct ARIN IP Allocation

Post by porcupine »

Hi guys,

Well theres good news in the air before the close of January.

We have applied for, and been granted a block of IP's direct from ARIN. ARIN is the regulatory body for the IP space that the vast majority of North America is required to utilize, either directly, or indirectly (through their ISP, which has an allocation from ARIN).

This means that we will begin a new IP migration, as some of you guys have been through before. We will make every possible effort to ensure the impact is minimal, and both sets of IP's are lit at the same time, etc.

Customers utilizing CPanel will find this a breeze, as CPanel implamented numerous improvements in their IP management systems during the last quarter of 2004, which have been tested, and are extremely effective.

Since this allocation is direct from ARIN, who are the regulatory body that we are required to use due to location, this will be the last, and final major IP migration. Once this is complete, we will be 100% provider independant (currently, we receive Peer1 IP's, and are thus dependant on them to a level).

Customers may switch between VLAN sizes if justified, or between shared subnets, and private VLAN's, or vice versa during this migration. Gaming customers may be allocated IP addresses with the last octet in the lowest possible range upon request, as we understand this is important to your business. Customers will also be permitted to aggregate, or deaggregate servers into/out of private shared VLAN's if desired. Anyone wanting to make major changes to their IP configurations should certainly seize this opportunity.

Our target date to have this move complete is 30-Jun-2005 (5 months) which I think everyone will agree is quite reasonable. We have begun routing the IP's, and assigning them internally, but not publishing to customers which netblocks they will be relocated to. Customers wishing to get an early start on this should email admin@prioritycolo.com

As always, anyone increasing the size of their netblocks, or customers who have over 10 IP addresses, and have not submitted any form of justification over the years will be requested to provide reasonable justification, as ARIN has made themselves (as always) crystal clear about utilization requirements.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know VIA email at admin@prioritycolo.com . I hope everyone enjoys this new expansion step as much as I am.

Regards,
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Just to update on this thread.

The original move date posted has been removed. We have not had time internally to organize everyone into moving in the manner initially hoped, and I do not believe that we can complete this move by the timeline originally provided (without causing pain, stress, and inconvinience to you, the customer, as I fully understand that people need time, warning, and cooperation to complete such moves fully).

With that being said; I've decided the best bet is to send out semi-automated emails to all customers, and begin routing new IP blocks based on what people currently have (and direct them to this forum). If you receive an IP block that you do not particularly want (eg. you got a /28 [16 IP's], but know you will need a /27 in soon [32 IP's], or you got put into a private IP block, but wish to remain on a shared VLAN for ease of growth, etc.) then please simply email back stating the changes you'd like to make.

I will also be aggregating customer servers into larger VLAN's for customers who have multiple servers, automatically (which is also optional of course). In short, many decisions will be made based on what I see as the most logical, and reasonable allocations, but if they do not suit your needs fully, please do not hesitate to say so.

Also, in compliance with ARIN rules and regulations, customers will now have their basic information listed in the ARIN SWIP database, as we will be SWIP'ing IP's to customers.

For commercial customers (customers who have submitted a company name on their order form), you will see your company name, and full street address, and the network block you reside on in the database. For private customers (customers who have not submitted a company name on their order form), the postal code, province/state, and country will be displayed, but the street address will be hidden, as well as your name (for reasonable privacy purposes). Customers may also have their primary contact email address listed (if applicable).

This is known as the ARIN-Reassign-Simple method, we will also be permitting (and supporting) the ARIN-Reassign-Detailed method, for companies that wish (or already have) registered POC's (points of contact) with ARIN, and will thus be the primary abuse contacts, etc. for their IP blocks. Please note that this does not apply to any customers on shared VLAN's, or webhosting/reseller customers.

Listings in the ARIN database look something like this (example of reassign-detailed):
[porcupine@www1:~]$ whois -a 66.199.180.20
Peer 1 Network Inc. PEER1-BLK-03 (NET-66-199-128-0-1)
66.199.128.0 - 66.199.191.255
Priority Colo PEER1-PRIORITYCOLO-01 (NET-66-199-180-0-1)
66.199.180.0 - 66.199.183.255

[porcupine@www1:~]$ whois -a PRIOR-7

OrgName: Priority Colo
OrgID: PRIOR-7
Address: 151 Front Street West
Address: Suite 707
City: Toronto
StateProv: ON
PostalCode: M5J-2N1
Comment:
RegDate: 2003-08-15
Updated: 2005-01-21

AdminHandle: MML4-ARIN
AdminName: Loosley-Millman, Myles M
AdminPhone: *blocked, look up manually*
AdminEmail: *blocked, look up manually*

TechHandle: MML4-ARIN
TechName: Loosley-Millman, Myles M
TechPhone: *blocked, look up manually*
TechEmail: *blocked, look up manually*
While I expect that many people will see this as a great feature (because it clearly identifies your IP's when someone looks them up, shows they "belong" [in the sense that they're officially re-assigned] to you, and that you uphold a level of professionalism [not fly by night]), I hope the measures we've taken to protect personal information (to the maximum extent permitted by ARIN regulations) will be sufficient for those who do not necessarilly appreciate these attempts.

I will be referencing this thread in the email, so please just chime in (unlocking this section of the forum for all to post) if you have any questions, comments, or concerns!
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com