Client pages viewable w URL resellerdomain.com/~username ?

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

Rayg

Client pages viewable w URL resellerdomain.com/~username ?

Post by Rayg »

Can client pages be viewed using the URL resellerdomain.com/~username, where "resellerdomain.com" is my reseller main domain and "username" is the client site's user name? This works using the IP or the PColo server name, but when I tried it using my main domain name, I got:

"Access Not Allowed from this Domain
You are attempting to access a user dir from a domain that is not owned by the user. Please correct the domain that you are attempting to use to access this url."

This feature works if you use the SECOND of the two sequential IPs assigned to a reseller (123.123.123.124). If you use the first (123.123.123.123), you get the above error message. So it's as if the main domain name is only associated with the first IP in this process. Yet it is this first IP that is listed for the client sites in a WHM accounts listing.

So, I need to know if this feature can be made to work using the main reseller domain name. I also think it would be good to give a bit of info on how the two IPs work.

:?:
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: Client pages viewable w URL resellerdomain.com/~username

Post by porcupine »

Rayg wrote:Can client pages be viewed using the URL resellerdomain.com/~username, where "resellerdomain.com" is my reseller main domain and "username" is the client site's user name? This works using the IP or the PColo server name, but when I tried it using my main domain name, I got:

"Access Not Allowed from this Domain
You are attempting to access a user dir from a domain that is not owned by the user. Please correct the domain that you are attempting to use to access this url."

This feature works if you use the SECOND of the two sequential IPs assigned to a reseller (123.123.123.124). If you use the first (123.123.123.123), you get the above error message. So it's as if the main domain name is only associated with the first IP in this process. Yet it is this first IP that is listed for the client sites in a WHM accounts listing.

So, I need to know if this feature can be made to work using the main reseller domain name. I also think it would be good to give a bit of info on how the two IPs work.

:?:
thats how the private shared IP addresses worked. There is no way we have in place to avoid this, you simply have to point them to the next IP address up, typically your ns2 ip address.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
Rayg

Post by Rayg »

I hope I understand correctly. So, if I switch the 2 nameserver IP designations, that will do it? That is, if I take what is currently the second (NS2) nameserver's IP and assign it to the first listed nameserver (NS1), and vice versa, then the nameserver set will firstly point to the 123.123.123.124 (client-associated) IP, and resellerdomain.com/~username will then work to reach client sites?
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Rayg wrote:I hope I understand correctly. So, if I switch the 2 nameserver IP designations, that will do it? That is, if I take what is currently the second (NS2) nameserver's IP and assign it to the first listed nameserver (NS1), and vice versa, then the nameserver set will firstly point to the 123.123.123.124 (client-associated) IP, and resellerdomain.com/~username will then work to reach client sites?
Nope, the sites will appear on the IP we normally provide for your NS2 IP address, it doesen't make it point to *any* hostname.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
DavidLaneSystems

Post by DavidLaneSystems »

Dear Myles:

Same difficulty here, but still cannot access via second IP address because it is taken by another domain with SSL.

Help???

Regards,
RS
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

DavidLaneSystems wrote:Dear Myles:

Same difficulty here, but still cannot access via second IP address because it is taken by another domain with SSL.

Help???

Regards,
RS
Simply use the server hostname for it then :)
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
lipak

Post by lipak »

For people like me, that's:

http://wwwX.pcdc.net/~username/

instead of

123.123.123.123(+1)/~username/

Where X is the server number you are on.