DNS Question

Technical support for webhosting Resellers, and questions which directly relate to their services.

Moderator: Admins

atoning

DNS Question

Post by atoning »

My first post in the PC forums so hello everyone!

I usually bug Myles in ICQ so I thought I better start using the form as I am sure he is busy keeping everything running for us.

My question relates to DNS I have been using in the past a free DNS service (www.everydns.net) but since signing up with PC I have been using the DNS that is setup with my root domain. My main domain at PC is icon.net.au so the DNS associated wit hthat are ns1.icon.net.au.

Whenever I add a new domain to my account I just point the registrars DNS entries to nsx.icon.net.au works without any problems and is as it should be.

Now at the free DNS service I have entries for icon.net.au and all the hosts, ie not using ns1.icon.net.au or ns2. My registrar for icon.net.au points at the free DNS service. Can I change the registrar settings to point to ns1.cion.net.au etc and everything will continue to work peachy?

Regards

PK
porcupine
Site Admin

Re: DNS Question

Post by porcupine »

atoning wrote:My first post in the PC forums so hello everyone!

I usually bug Myles in ICQ so I thought I better start using the form as I am sure he is busy keeping everything running for us.

My question relates to DNS I have been using in the past a free DNS service (www.everydns.net) but since signing up with PC I have been using the DNS that is setup with my root domain. My main domain at PC is icon.net.au so the DNS associated wit hthat are ns1.icon.net.au.

Whenever I add a new domain to my account I just point the registrars DNS entries to nsx.icon.net.au works without any problems and is as it should be.

Now at the free DNS service I have entries for icon.net.au and all the hosts, ie not using ns1.icon.net.au or ns2. My registrar for icon.net.au points at the free DNS service. Can I change the registrar settings to point to ns1.cion.net.au etc and everything will continue to work peachy?

Regards

PK
Thats a hard one (primarily, because you typo'd in the DNS hostname up there!). Generally speaking, you can flip domains between DNS servers, and as long as both servers have (valid) DNS entries for the domains in question, all will work well. However, if you (or the registerar) botch mid-way through the process, and the DNS servers dont get correctly modified, stuff can go down. Personally I'm not a fan of the .au registries, as they're overly complicated, and stuff like that seems to happen more often then other registries, but its worth a try.

The DNS servers that you're provided with by PC should be noticably faster and more reliable then any free DNS services (unless they're physically closer to you granted, signifigantly closer).
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com