WWW3.prioritycolocation.com crash

Announcements concerning Networking & Related News, Planned Outages, Anything which may affect your services.

Moderator: Admins

porcupine
Site Admin

WWW3.prioritycolocation.com crash

Post by porcupine »

www3 just crashed out of the blue. It has been rebooted and is currently FSCK'ing, should be back up shortly. Reason for crash is unknown (as i was logged into the server at the time, on an idle top screen), but it's killed our lovely 66 day uptime :(.

Anyhow, should be back up shortly, sorry for the inconvinience this may have caused anyone.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
vito

Post by vito »

Hi Myles:

Any update on www3? It's been a few hours now, and I'm just wondering when it will get back up.

Thanks.

Vito
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

we've got someone onsite looking at it, it was left fsck'ing last night to my understanding, but seems to have gotten stuck. Hopefully it'll be back up before noon our time (1 1/2 hours our time).

My appologies for the inconvinience, anyone who wants a refund for octobers month on this server is welcome to ask as this definatly didn't meet our 99.5% uptime guarantee this month :(, though we are doing everything in our power to restore the server as quickly as possible.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
vito

Post by vito »

Hi Myles:

Thanks for the update. Hardware problems can be a real hassle...

Thanks for the offer on a month's refund, but I will pass on it. You've been a great host so far, and I'm not really interested in getting a refund. It's not your fault the server crashed. The only thing I'm looking for is to know that when a problem occurs, you get on it right away. And you seem to have that covered...

Hope it's up soon... :cry:

Vito
Beamer

Post by Beamer »

hi

Is there anymore news as iv just got in from work and iv been told the our forum has been down all day :( I understand u are trying your best just wanted to know the update plz.

As for months free we will pass on that also as from day one your service has been excellent :)

Thanks

Beamer :D
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

I just got off the phone with the technician again, and he's been having trouble in the fsck. www3 doesen't have an overly huge drive, but it is very full, and is just making each run of fsck take ages and ages. Since www3 has never crashed and run fsck like this, and crashes yesterday morning when it was very busy, it looks like theres a slew of errrors it's running around correcting. As i just stated in a support email, fsck can take up to 30-45 minutes to run on a normal occasion, and up to 2 hours to run if the filesystem is extremely dirty (it's a dirty dirty server). I've been hounding him every 30 minutes on his cell phone to ensure he's keeping up the work, so we should see it back very shortly now as i'm not leaving my pc until its sorted.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
Beamer

Post by Beamer »

Hi porcupine

well hope things get sorted sooner then later :) Hoping that that our database is ok coz im going to cry if its gone as we havent backedup for sometime :oops: .

plus im dreading my emails when we get back online lol.

Beams :D
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

It's back online (has been for many hours now), sorry i didn't grab back into this thread as soon as it was, needed a break, and figured you guys would notice :D. Content looks like it should be fine.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
Beamer

Post by Beamer »

Hi porcupine

I did notice that the server was backup as i could ftp/cpanel in but still couldnt access the forum as off 2am uk time lastnight.

Well all fine now so thanks for the hard work and fingers crossed uptime will be fine for sometime :)

Ill backup tonight in case :lol:

Beams :D
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Which forum in particular? If you're still having problems with anything, please file a helpdesk ticket immediatly to ensure we are aware of the problem. With shared servers, all we really do is ensure the server is up, if individual sites are having problems as a result of the crash, the user must report them or chances are we will not notice on our own as this is beyond the scope of our system monitoring.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
Beamer

Post by Beamer »

ops sorry i forgot to post back lol

i didnt explain myself very well. as of 2am i could get in cpanel ftp fine but no forum but at 8am as i was leaving for work and i check the forum i could get on fine so everything is fine.

Since then the forum has been fine so great work :)

Beamer :D
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Good to hear,

Something had happened to the council-of-elrond forum, and somebody had aim'd or icq'd myself, but i cant for the life of me recall what had happened, but it was in definite relation to the crash, i recall it being a 2 minute fix once the problem was identified :).
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com