Tomcat Support?

Technical support for general webhosting clients and questions relating to their webhosting services.

Moderator: Admins

jk1

Tomcat Support?

Post by jk1 »

I might need to run some JSP pages.

Do ya'll support Tomcat?
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Not currently on our lower end reseller packages, i do not believe tomcat is installed on all of the servers, although it is likely installed on a few of them.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
vaelen

Post by vaelen »

This would be nice, but since I use Tomcat on a daily basis at my work, I have to say it might not be very easy. There are conditions which require the Tomcat server to be restarted after code change (even though there shouldn't be, most of the time) and often Apache needs to be restarted after Tomcat to re-establish the AJP worker's connection.

That being said, it's still possible to set it up, we use multiple Apache and tomcat instance, bound to individual ips and ports and give our users the ability to bump the services. This works out because our users are other IT professionals at the same company, but it would be tricker in a multi-user hosting setup I think..

Just my two cents, take with a grain of salt the size of Rhode Island. :roll:
porcupine
Site Admin

Post by porcupine »

Unfortunatly after observing many customers running tomcat for their own end users, we opted to remove support for Tomcat/JSP, and not support it. It's just too resource intensive (cpu, memory, and Tech support!). People who need tomcat are likely better off on a VDS type system.
Myles Loosley-Millman
Priority Colo Inc.
myles@prioritycolo.com
http://www.prioritycolo.com
vaelen

Post by vaelen »

Yeah, I agree about the resources, it's a hog! What's even worse is WebSphere, ugh! :) :wink: